Day 4 - Saturday, January 24, 2009 "Barack Is Finding His Voice - Where's Mine?"

Earlier in the week, it is said that President Obama, in response to Rep. Eric Cantor's (R-VA) opinion that cutting income taxes would do more to stimulate economic growth than handing out a $500 individual payroll tax refund, responded, "I won,” I will trump you on that.” Given Mr. Obama's persistent affect of humility let alone his dragging around the biography of Abraham Lincoln, one has to assume that

this was an attempt by our new President to maintain his authority with a bit of humor. The Republicans didn't find it funny, but I'm sure that as President Obama finds his stride, he'll find the voice that works for him.

As for me, I'm trying to find the voice I wish to express myself during my first hundred days alongside Barack Obama (figuratively speaking ).

During the course of the day, while my husband and I worked on our web site of ten years in an attempt to for once make it at least a bit profitable while he's laid off, ideas floated in my brain of how I wished to shape this blog. I have essays half done in my mind - one tentatively titled, "Why White People Cried at the Inauguration." I have my own stimulus ideas for the masses that I want to put in an essay called "Come On, Rich People, Buy Some Stuff". Like Barack, I'll find it. I'm just glad I don't have the press following me around recording my learning curve.

Aside from the search for my voice, we were searching for some cash since my husband's last paycheck will be coming all too soon on February 5. I must admit we were creative. Mike's sister makes fantastically sturdy and attractive bean bags for the throwing game. She uses college logo material like USC and UCLA. We bought two bags from her when we heard of her new business, hoping to sell them at our RV park. They have been sitting around for months, so on Saturday we approached the little store in our RV park and my husband convinced the manager that these bags were precisely what his store needed. He was creative and enterprising and the voice he found brought us $50 extra dollars. It's amazing what trying to stay afloat will bring out in people. Let's hope it continues to be all positive!