Day 12 - Sunday, February 1, 2009 - Shut the box


It's a crabby day and I know why. I feel we can't relent on trying to figure out how to increase our income while Mike is laid off. Even if he would get a job tomorrow, we would still be two weeks behind in income. So I want to work on my idea of customizing the online game we've developed and send it to Oprah's people. I'm convinced if we make it good enough it will be embraced by her website and they'll either buy it or link to us. (My father always said that I lived in a dream world.)

Of course, it's Super Bowl Sunday and in the morning,


our RV neighbors invited us up to the 5000's where there's a party going on this afternoon. (Our lot is in the 4000's). I know Mike really wants to go, but I remind him of all we have to do, the least of which is going grocery shopping. When we come back from Ralph's, the game has already started. I look in his eyes and knows he needs to be with friends and get away from it all. I tell him I'll put away the groceries and that he should go without me. "Will you come later?" he asks. And in what must have sounded very martyr-like, I answer, "No, I'm going to stay and work." He leaves and I'm content to keep working on fixing up the content of our Java Applet and maybe starting on the taxes .

Twenty minutes later, there's a knock on our RV door. It's another neighbor who was at the party asking if I'd please come because he wants to introduce me to his girlfriend. She's a teacher, he tells me, so we'd have a lot in common. I'm touched that he came down to ask and I say I'll come, but I think I shouldn't. Finally, after putting away the groceries and starting up the computer, I turn on the TV and watch the Budweiser commercial - the one with Daisy the Clysdale who's taken to the circus to the dismay of her Clysdale squeeze. It's no fun to watch something as adorable as that all alone, so I pack up the shrimp plate that I got on sale at Ralph's for $2.50, hope it isn't contaminated with something at that price, and mix up some ketchup and horseradish for cocktail sauce and head over to the 5000's.

A whole bunch of people, many of whom I never met are gathered outside, watching the game on two TVs set up on a table in front of the hitch of the neighbor's 5th Wheel. I'm glad I came. It's a bit chilly, but wonderful. (I LOVE being in California and I really hope we don't have to move for the next job.) We play a dice game called "Shut the Box". I never played before, but I pay my quarter and start shooting the dice. I need a nine, so I think "nine" and I roll a nine. I need a "one" so I think "one" and I roll a one. One more roll and I think it done and shut the box and win $2.25. Mike seems so proud of me! Now all I have to do is visualize a job for Mike in Orange County - visualize my educational software and game company succeeding - visualize us able to buy a house some day and stay near our children - visualize world peace. If I can do it with dice, I can do it with life, doncha' think?